History of past 100 Years

The Company History: Establishment in 1916

Started out as a manufacturer of Nuts and Bolts for weaving machines

1916:

Kikusaburo Ishikawa established "Ishikawa Tekko Factory" in Hachiman-chi, Hamamatsu-shi, and began the manufacture of bolts and nuts in a subcontract factory for Suzumasa Shokki (Currently Enshu Ltd.).

1936:

Renamed "Ishikawa Tekko Factory" to "Ishikawa Tekkojo", a limited partnership company.

Started business transactions with Toyota Industries Corporation.

Started manufacture of Automobile Parts.

1937:

Started the engine bolts delivery to Toyota Motor Corporation.

1939:

"Ishikawa Tekkojo" became a subcontract factory of Nippon Gakki Company Ltd. and started nuts and bolts delivery for musical instruments.

Started nuts and bolts delivery for the military aircraft to Nakajima Aircraft Company.

1941:

Started propeller parts delivery for the military aircraft, etc., to Japan International Aviation Industries Ltd.

1943:

Moved the registered office to Sumida-ku, Tokyo.

1944:

Destruction of Sunayama factory by Tonankai earthquake.

1945:

Thirty-nine workers became victims of Hamamatsu air raids by US Air force.

Started ball joints production.

1946:

Received a permission to return to the private sector, and resumed pre-war operations.

Received orders from Toyota Motor Corporation for machining of the ball joints for trucks

1949:

Received a certification of superior automobile parts maker from the Ministry of Commerce and Industry with "No. 157 tie-rod ends."

1951:

Started the service parts delivery to Toyota Motor Sales Corporation.

Started the shackle pins production for trucks.

1955:

Started business transactions with Yamaha Motor Company Ltd. and light bike parts delivery to them.

Received a certification as a superior automobile parts maker from the Ministry of Commerce and Industry in 1949.

Started the steering linkages delivery to Toyota Automobile Industries Co., Ltd. for "Toyopet Crown" (RS type).

1958:

Started business transactions with Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. and the kingpin delivery for Subaru 360 program.

1960:

Changed the company's name to Ishikawa Tekkojo KK.

Started business transactions with Suzuki Motor Corporation and the ball joints delivery for "Suzulight" program.

1961:

Established the sister company Ishikawa Screw Plant (Current "Techno First"). Transferred nuts and bolts manufacturing and sales to "Techno First"

1963:

Moved the mother plant from Sunayama-cho to Furukawa-cho in Hamamatsu

1964:

Celebrated the completion of Furukawa factory and 50th anniversary of the company concurrently.

1967:

Started business transactions with Hino Motors Ltd. And the gear control rods delivery.

Established the Company as an exclusive ball joint manufacturer.

1968:

Entered into a technical collaboration agreement with A. Ehrenreich GmbH & Co. KG (Germany) for ball joints production.

Changed the company name to Ishikawa Iron Works Co., Ltd.

Started business transactions with Daihatsu Motor Co., Ltd. and the steering racks assembly delivery.

1970:

Built a forging plant in Tsurumi-cho, Hamamatsu City.

Started business transactions with NSK Ltd.

1973:

Started business transactions with Isuzu Motors Ltd.

1977:

Started business transactions with Kubota Tekko KK (Current Kubota Corporation) and non-lubricated agricultural-use ball joints delivery.

Started business transactions with Yanmar Diesel Ltd. (Current Yanmar Co., Ltd.).

Started business transactions with Nippon Power Steering Co., Ltd. (Current KYB Corporation).

1978:

Built a heat-treatment plant on Tsurumi factory premises.

1981:

Built a machining plant on Tsurumi factory premises.

1983:

Started business transactions with Mitsubishi Motors Corporation.

Received an approval of utility model for the split resin ball joint.

1986:

Started business transactions with Komatsu Forklift Co., Ltd. (Currently Komatsu Fork Lift Japan Ltd.).

Began progressive global business expansion.

1989:

Received an approval from Toyota Motors to create ball joint drawings.

Built a resin plant on Tsurumi factory premises.

Established a joint-venture company Brewer Automotive Components Inc. (BAC) with Lemförder Metallwaren AG(Germany) in USA.

1991:

Changed the company name to Somic Ishikawa Inc.

1993:

Completed the Ryuyo plant in Ryuyo-cho, Iwata-gun.

1994:

Established a joint-venture company Shaoxing Somic Automotive Components Co., Ltd. (SSAC) in China.

1995:

Established an associate company Somic Engineering Inc. in Furukawa-cho, Hamamatsu City.

Established a joint-venture company Sona Somic Components Ltd. (SSCL) in India.

1997:

Established a joint-venture Somboon Somic Manufacturing Co., Ltd. (SSMC) in Thailand.

1998:

Certified ISO9001

Somic Disk dampers used in Suzuki motorcycle seats. (First application for wheeled vehicles)

2000:

ISO14001 Certification in Ryuyo plant.

Certified QS-9000

Established a joint-venture Wytheville Technologies, Inc. (WTI) in USA.

Somic Viscous type dampers used for armrests of Toyota Celsior.

2001:

Established a joint-venture Saint-Etienne Automotive Components S.A.S. (SEAC) in France.

Somic Pressure system dampers used for ottomans of Toyota Estima.

2003:

Established a joint-venture Somic (Tianjin) Automotive Components Co., Ltd. (STAC) in China.

Certified ISO14001 in Furukawa and Tsurumi plants

2006:

ISO14001 Certification in entire Somic

2008:

Established a joint-venture Tangshan Somic Howa Automotive Parts Co., Ltd. (TSHA) in China.

2010:

Merger of BAC and WTI to form Somic America, Inc. (SAI).

2012:

Established PT. Somic Indonesia (SMI) in Indonesia.

2014:

Established Somic(Suzhou) Auto Parts Engineering & Service Co., Ltd. (SSES) in China.

On to the next 100 years.

2015:

Started operations at Shinmiyakoda plant.

2016:

Announced New Corporate Vision and Guiding Principles.

Celebrated the Company's 100th anniversary.

Completed the Toyooka plant in Kamikanzo, Iwata City.

2017:

Certified ISO/TS16949 in Dampers Business